Skip to main content

Vector Portrait

Pre-Production

To start out with this project, I had to choose a picture for me to vectorize. I don't take a lot of pictures, so I didn't have a lot of pictures to choose from. I eventually decided to crop myself out of a picture with my family and use that for my vectorized portrait. Once I imported this picture, I brought it in to Adobe Photoshop. In Photoshop, I used the posterize option to clearly separate the differences in color. This allowed me to make more specific shapes that would eventually make my portrait look a little more realistic. Then I imported this updated picture into Adobe Illustrator. When I started in Illustrator, I had to make two art boards. Both of the art boards would have my original picture on it. However, one of them would have a decreased opacity, and that picture would be the one I trace over to create my vector. The other picture was simply used for reference, and to grab colors for my vector.

Production

When I first started this project, I didn't really know what to do. I decided to do some of the more detailed parts of my face first off. I worked on getting my eyes, mouth, nose, and ear to look pretty good before I moved on to some of the larger parts of my face. These first parts were a major struggle for me because I wasn't too sure how detailed I wanted to make my shapes. I started off making them very detailed, but then I decided it didn't look very realistic, so I made it more general. As I moved on to some of the more plain parts of my face, I adjusted some of the previous parts to help them fit better together. I tried to be very organized with all of my layers. I thought that grouping the layers together would help me later on in the project, when I needed to make some more adjustments. During the making of this project, I got a lot better with the pen tool. I can now use it extremely efficiently and with pretty good accuracy. When I had troubles with certain parts of my portrait, I quickly decided that I wasn't going to spend too much time in a row on a specific part. I think this helped me not to get burnt out too quickly. I also figured out a way to use my layers to my advantage. I found that it was much easier to make some parts of a shape very accurate, and then just place it behind another layer, so I could use more generalized shapes to complete it. This allowed me to reach my final product much quicker than I would've if I had traced every shape exactly how it was. For my final product, I wanted it to be very detailed, but also realistic. I think I did a good job accomplishing my goal.

Post-Production

In the end, I am very pleased with my final product. I put in a lot of effort in order to get my project finished, and I think it was definitely worth the time. If I were to continue to perfect this piece, I might have adjusted the coloring of some parts and I would have gone into more detail for the hair. Since I was in a time crunch, I made a lot of extremely generalized shapes and different shades of brown, so I think I could've made that part much better. However, as a whole, I love my final product. This project was honestly very fun for me to work on, although it was incredibly frustrating and mind-numbing at times. If I have time, I definitely would not be apposed to creating another vectorized portrait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Printing Processes

We watched multiple videos about different types of printing processes. We learned about the relief process, the intaglio process, and the lithography process. Each process uses different materials and tools that help to make their designs unique. Here is a more in-depth view of each individual process: Relief Process:  Relief printing is the process of cutting away at a surface in order to create an image from the raised area. In a step by step process of this, first you can draw directly onto a linoleum block with a marker. Then, a linoleum cutter is used to cut away what you have drawn on the block. This means that whatever you have drawn will eventually be in white, while the blank space will be black. Then, ink will be applied to your linoleum block with a roller. Lastly, you can place a piece of paper on the linoleum block and apply light pressure in order to reveal your image. After letting the ink dry, this process is finished. Example of relief process . Intaglio Pr

Movie Trailer Remake

Pre-Production For this project, we were assigned a specific movie about high school, and were told to remake the trailer. My group was assigned "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" for our movie. I was pretty excited about this project to start with because I really like the movie I got, and I thought I got a good group. However, this project was certainly not an easy task, so we had a lot of work to do. We started off with all of our pre-production activities. This included story boarding, completing a beat sheet, and figuring out who to cast for each role. Our group decided to mainly cast from our own group to make scheduling a little easier. However, we still casted all of our adults, plus two of our main characters from outside our group. Before we started filming, we also figured out what we were going to do for locations, props, and costumes. Most of our group chipped in for some props or costumes, and we mainly decided the locations as a group. Once we had all of that

Semester 2 Video Production Review

Projects Movie Trailer Recreation For this project, we were put into groups and told to recreate a high school movie trailer. Our group ended up recreating the trailer for "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". This entire process took about a month to complete, and had many challenges built in to it. The main challenge we came upon was scheduling with our actors. We found it was extremely difficult to find a time that all of our actors and team members could be in the same place at the same time. Throughout the making of this video, I learned a lot about the use of microphones and sound. I learned how to operate a boom mic and also learned more about how to use your music and audio effectively. At the end of this project, we mostly received positive feedback. The main negative on our piece was that some of the music did not stay true to the actual video. So, for our re-edits, we imported some of the actual music from the video to make it more accurate. Overall, I think our gro